Monday, January 24, 2011

Also a little late--oops

This post was suppose to be for Wednesday, January 19th, but in all the excitement and what not I never got a chance to post. I remember that this was another amazing day at KIPP where we got to really interact with and talk to both teachers and students. This was also the day that Elma, Jonathan, and I tried to go to one of the public schools in the area to see if our group could come in and help out, but in the end, they didn't want our presence to "disturb" the students. Oh well.

Anyways, now we're all back the University of Maryland, College Park. It's weird being back at a school that isn't KIPP with no one sending love or getting excited because they have a chance to have a college student sit at their lunch table. I learned more from this experience than I could have ever imagined. I learned from the students, teachers, school leaders, but also from the amazing people I lived with for ten days that went from strangers to family.

From the students, I learned what it means to be passionate. These kids were so inspirational, welcoming, and willing to learn. I still don't understand how they go through such long days and still have the amount of enthusiasm they do. Even in the circumstances they are in, they have been instilled with this belief that they can make it to and through college. It's really amazing to think that a 10 year old can be motivated by the idea of getting to go to college. I'm not sure what I was thinking about when I was 10, but it definitely wasn't college.

From the teachers, I learned what it means to really believe in students. They told us about their frustrations with the school system, even KIPP isn't perfect, but they are some of the most dedicated teachers I have ever met. I was amazed to find out they give out their cell phone numbers to students and it's normal for students to call with questions. These teachers work over 9 hour days all for the sake of students. One of the teachers had a sign in her classroom that said "You can do this. I won't give up on you." During this whole trip we talked about problems in the education system and the reasons for such big learning gaps throughout the country. Maybe if all the teachers had this same amount of dedication and belief in their students the problem wouldn't be as extreme? Idk. Maybe.

From the school leaders of the middle school and high school I learned what its like to really believe in a cause. They answered all our questions about KIPP, what's working and what's not. In a rural area where the public schools aren't the greatest, KIPP seems like it's doing a great job. It's really refreshing to talk to people who are really making a difference and looking for solutions when they see what's in place now for rural education in the area isn't working.

From the Landers' I learned about compassion and kindness. They are good people, genuinely good people. They welcomed college students, most of whom they never met before into their home and made if feel like it was ours, too. I can't express how much I appreciate what they did for us, and I really didn't even know people like that could exist.

And finally, from all of the alternative winter breakers of this trip, I can't even express how much I learned from you guys. I learned about the world, about books, about cooking, about what "flash-dancing" was, and more and more and more. I didn't imagine I would become so close to all these strangers who are some of the coolest and most fun people I have ever met. I can't begin to explain how amazing this trip was and a lot of that was due to the amazing people I was surrounded by. So thanks, and I miss you all already.

Umm. Okay I think that's it.

- Nadira :)

No comments:

Post a Comment