So we have all successfully wound down from our first full day of service at Gaston College Prep school. (This is Ariel btw!)
Going to the KIPP school was deffinately an experience. The kids in the middle school were soooooooooooooooo well behaved and excitied to be in school. It was nothing like what I have experienced.
Something that we had talked about in regards to this is is it particularly "normal" for kids to be this quiet? Does being educated in this manner affect social skills and development?
I have to admit that I was rather nervous to go to the school, but that quickly dissipated, the teachers were very disarming, and needed the help.
Something that i found rather interesting was the fact that they did not have a 'guidance office' in the high school. I personally spent a great deal of my time in the guidance office my junior and senior year. What GCP has instead is called their College Counseling Office. That is were career planning is discussed, college essays take place, and summers become doorways for internships and other cool educational stuff. Man, I wish we had an office like this in public schools.
Tomorrow I want to make sure that I have more of a presence amongst the middle school kids, I'm sure that they have a lot to share, and I'm eager to hear it.
No comments:
Post a Comment